Sunday 3 March 2013

Cosmic Couch (Log 1: Ideas, ideas and moar ideasss!?)

Cosmic Couch was originally intended to be published independently as an IOS and Android title, the only problem was I needed a programming warrior that could actually make things happen.
Some of the drawings, ideas and documentation below are mostly from a document I made during Xmas 2012; I even considered just to release one as a free 2D Flash game. My intention is solely just to get a game out regardless of the marketing standpoint, because 3 years in a game university and having done zero (o) proper psychically playable game made me quite desperate, more so than that I am just itching; its time to get down to business and create something that I can be proud of.

However, things changed.

In January I learnt that there is a yearly game competition called Dare To Be Digital, whereby the chosen 15 teams will be sent to Scotland for a 9 weeks intensive game creation - which will then be showcased in a proto-play & potentially win and even get a BAFTA awards. (Swallowtail's Tick Tock Toys was from 2011's Dare and they won BAFTA, and they're from NUA!)

Skeptical at first, because Cosmic Couch was meant to be a really simple, no messing about, artsy and much drug-referenced kind of game, its an extension of my indulgence so to speak - in that way its hard for me to let it be nurtured further to enter a competition which usually thrives on popularity rather than substance, and also the proto-play are mostly of really young audience and that contradict my aim of reaching this game to my age group audiences. Most of all its going to be a lot of opinions and taste which many misinterpret as 'constructive-feedbacks' which will most likely get in the way and tire me out.

But with a little helps from my friends; the multitalented hobos that is Harry, Dom & Dan, I managed to convince myself to be more flexible & that this might after all be a really perfect chance for this game to ever see the light of day. With our share of fetish in the Aardvark and after 2-3weeks of intense brainstorming, fist-fighting & law-breaking activities, we finally came up with a definitely more solid version of my idea. Things are also looking up after much discussions with the tutors, developments are underway and I will be posting them from time to time simply to keep myself in check with whats happened (however I can't disclose any details and proper game-plays due to the un-copyrighted nature of the current development.)










and if all else fails with Dare, we're still going to publish it independently as I initially intended. FInger's crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment